Services provided by the team
1. Individual psychological therapy using CBT intervention for managing a range of difficulties including psychotic symptoms, trauma, depression, anxiety, low self esteem, and adjustment reactions.
2. Early Warning Signs Management with individual clients and their families.
3. Group interventions including:
- Social Confidence Groups
- Psychosis and Bipolar Information and Support Groups
- Relatives Information and Support Groups
- Coping with Voices Groups.
4. Staff Training:
- Early Warning Signs Management
- Working with individuals with motivational difficulties
Brief description of the service
We provide specialist psychological interventions for clients with a diagnosis of Psychosis or Bipolar Mood disorder. We have sessions within the Early Intervention Service and the Recovery Service, and also within a specialty of the Psychology Department where we accept referrals from other teams and services within South Worcestershire including the CMHTs, the in-patient wards at Newtown Hospital (Abberley and Clifton Ward), the Home Treatment & Crisis Resolution Service and the Assertive Outreach Team.
In addition to seeing clients individually, in groups and with their carers and family, we have developed clinical resources which are widely used throughout the Mental Health Trust (and beyond) including the Early Warning Signs pack and a treatment manual for individuals affected by negative symptoms of psychosis (motivational difficulties).
Individuals with a diagnosis of Psychosis or Bipolar Mood Disorder and their carers and relatives.
How the service is accessed
Clients under any of the secondary care services within South Worcestershire CMHTs, Assertive Outreach Team, Crisis Resolution & Home Treatment Team and in-patient wards can be referred by their care co-ordinator or consultant psychiatrist. Referrals should be sent to Dr Tom Barker, Clinical Psychologist at 5, Merrimans Hill Road, Worcester.
Key contact names & numbers
Dr Jo Smith, Consultant Clinical Psychologist
Tel 01905 760320 - Wulstan Unit and
01905 681308 - Early Intervention Service
Dr Tom Barker, Chartered Clinical Psychologist
Tel 01905 760320 - Wulstan Unit
01905 681301 - The Recovery Service
Location of services
5 Merriman's Hill Road,
Worcester WR3 8AA
The Psychology Department,
Worcester WR1 5JG
Geographical area covered by each team
Back to Psychology Services