WISH - Service change
Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19 we have reviewed the way we provide our services to help keep our patients and staff safe.
We are not currently offering walk-in clinics, instead, all our sites are offering a telephone triage service, which if required will be followed by a telephone consultation. If a clinical need has been identified, you may then be invited to attend a face-to-face appointment. Contact details for each of our clinics can be found on the 'where to go for help' page.
Our online booking service is currently suspended.
With the easing of national covid-19 lockdown restrictions the Sexual Health clinics are very busy. Please be aware the clinic will return your telephone call within 2 working days
Each patient is individually assessed and depending on the urgency a clinician may return your call sooner if required.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Emergency hormonal contraception is available free of charge via your GP, WISH Sexual Health clinics and community pharmacies across Worcestershire. Please contact your local pharmacy ahead of visiting to check that they are currently offering emergency contraception, full details can be found on the emergency contraception webpages.
Please phone your local sexual health clinic if you need emergency contraception and are having difficulty accessing a pharmacy.
Please be aware:
- Due to COVID-19, pharmacies are currently very busy; please try to ring before attending so that your consultation can take place over the phone.
- Be prepared to queue as Pharmacies are only allowing a small number of customers in at any one time.
- If you have not phoned beforehand your consultation may take place in the Pharmacy to allow for social distancing.
- You may have to pay for your emergency contraception. We encourage you to phone in advance to see whether there is a registered pharmacist available who can issue for free or whether there is a charge.
- Ring your GP practice to check whether you can have a telephone consultation. Your GP may be able to send a prescription to a Pharmacy.
During this busy time please be aware that some Pharmacies have to adjust their opening times frequently to allow for staff shortages and replenish stock.
Long Acting Reversible Contraception (LARC)
We are in the process of restoring our services within Sexual Health. As part of the restoration we will be fitting routine intrauterine devices and systems (coils) and implants. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 we will initially work through our existing waiting list.
If you are already on our waiting list you will receive a text message from the service. The text message will give you a time for a telephone consultation. Following the telephone consultation you will be given an appointment for the procedure.
If you are not on our waiting list and would like a coil or implant procedure, please contact the clinic. If your referral is not urgent we would ask you to ring back after 28 September when you will be added to the waiting list. In the meantime if you require contraception (e.g. pills) please contact the clinic.
Many people will find this a challenging time. Particularly for victims who will feel increasingly isolated as they live with their abuser. Please see below for useful resources from:
- Worcestershire domestic abuse: http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/domesticabuse
- SafeLives http://www.safelives.org.uk/news-views/domestic-abuse-and-covid-19
- Women’s Aid https://www.womensaid.org.uk/covid-19-coronavirus-safety-advice-for-survivors/
the local domestic abuse helpline for Worcestershire: Women’s Aid: 0800 980 3331. Men’s advice line: 0808 801 0327
What should I do if I want an abortion?
We are still providing an abortion service. However we have adapted the way we work during this time. It may be that we have telephone consultation with you rather than meeting face to face. You will then be advised by the team on how to access treatment if required.