Youth Justice Service and CAMHS
A full time CAMHS Clinical Nurse Specialist works alongside the Youth Justice Service (YJS), providing specialist mental health assessment and treatment to young people open to the YJS. Referrals are made to the Nurse by Youth Justice Officers where they have concerns for the young person’s mental health. The nurses role includes working together to ensure ‘speedy access‘ to specialist mental health provision if required, offering assessment, treatment, training.
The service supports those up to the age of 18 years and who are open to the Youth Justice Service. We work with lots of professionals including social care clinicians, police, probation, substance misuse and education workers.
The role includes:
- Consultation and advice given to :
- Single Point Of Access clinicians
- CAMHS clinicians
- Liaison with Social care
- Forensic CAMHS
- Adult mental health services
- Liaison and Diversion services
- Providing support to Police/Courts as required
- Providing education to Youth Justice Officers in relation to mental health
- Providing short-term focussed treatment options within the length of the current Youth Justice Order
- Facilitating group work programmes
Please note: Initial Referrals are only accepted from Youth Justice Officers.