COVID-19 (coronavirus) 

COVID-19 (coronavirus) -  Click here for the latest information and updates.

Learning Disabilities Speech & Language Therapy

LD Banner Image

Referral Pathway

How to make a referral

To refer for Speech and Language Therapy please complete the form below and return either by post or email.

Click Here for the referral form.

Who can be referred?

Referrals are accepted for adults with a confirmed diagnosis of Learning Disability.

  • who are registered with a Worcestershire GP
  • who have difficulty with communication
  • who have difficulty eating, drinking or swallowing

We may not work with:                                                                   

  • young adults who are in full time education
  • people who have access to independent Speech and Language Therapy at their home or placement
  • people with a learning difficulty e.g. dyslexia
  • people who are in hospital

Who can make a referral?

A referral to the Speech & Language Therapy service can be made by

  • A person with a learning disability
  • Anyone else with the permission of the person with a learning disability e.g afamily member,  carer,  friend
  • An advocate
  • Any member of the community LD team
  • Other professionals following a best interest decision. E.g GP, Social Worker, Community Nurse

Downloadable/ Printable: Easy Ready - Who can make a referral

Who can make a referral icon




What happens after a referral?

The referral will be checked to ensure we are the right service for the requested support.

A letter will be sent acknowledging that a referral has been made as there may be a waiting time .

We may telephone to get more information before we can proceed.

The Speech & Language Therapist will arrange an appointment to discuss your concerns. This appointment often takes place in the person’s own home or at a day service. Sometimes we see people in other settings.

Further appointments may be arranged for additional assessment if necessary. Family or main carers may be present during visits.

The Therapist will provide advice and ideas for techniques to be used by the family/carers to help with communication and/or eating and drinking.

The Therapist may offer:

• General advice and support to the family/ carers

• Practical ideas to support people with communication in daily life activities

• Individual advice on how to promote safer eating, drinking and swallowing.

Downloadable/ Printable: Easy Read - Who can we help 

Who we can help icon


Downloadable/ Printable: Easy Read - What happens after referral

what happens after referral icon