Physical health

Do you have a medical emergency?


Call 999 in a medical emergency. This is when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.


An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

  • loss of consciousness
  • acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds
  • stroke
  • major trauma such as a road traffic accident


Less severe injuries can be treated in our minor injuries units at; Bromsgrove, Evesham, Kidderminster, Malvern or Tenbury including;

  • cuts, grazes and wounds,
  • Sprains and strains
  • Minor burns

Visit our MIU page for more on information

NHS 111

Our minor injury units are not open 24 hours a day, if you're worried about an urgent medical concern, you can call NHS111 to speak to a fully trained adviser. Depending on the situation, the NHS111 team can connect you to a nurse, emergency dentist or even a GP, and can arrange face-to-face appointments if they think you need one.

NHS 111 advisers can also assess if you need an ambulance and send one immediately if necessary.

Other options

Patients should use the healthcare option most suited to their illness or injury. Alternative healthcare options include GP's, pharmacy and self-care.

Emergency Contraception

If you have had sex without using contraception or not used a method properly, such as missing pills, or a condom splitting then you may need emergency contraception. Emergency Hormonal contraception can be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex. Some pills can be used up to five days afterwards. A copper coil can be inserted up to five days afterwards to prevent implantation. If you think you need emergency contraception you should contact a local service as soon as possible.

For more information visit;

Local Sexual Health Service

NHS Choices

Sex Wise - Family Planning Association 

Your Guide to Emergency Contraception - FPA 

Click here for list of Pharmacies that can offer Emergency Hormonal Contraception, please contact the pharmacy before attending to ensure the pharmacy is open and the pharmacist is able to dispense this to you.

Do you need urgent dental help?

Urgent out of hours dental clinics (open on weekends and bank holidays) will no longer be provided from Kidderminster Health Centre, Evesham Dental Access Centre or the Worcester Dental Access Centre in Lowesmoor after March 31st 2020. From April 1st 2020, if you require urgent dental care out of hours you should contact NHS111 who will signpost you to the nearest clinic. The usual weekday clinics which are from these sites are unaffected.

Mental Health crisis

We appreciate that changes to all our lives resulting from Covid19 is making things difficult for people and you may feel you are experiencing a mental health crisis.  A mental health crisis often means that you no longer feel able to cope or be in control of your situation.

Whether you experience a sudden deterioration of an existing mental health problem or are experiencing problems for the first time, you'll need immediate expert  support to identify the best course of action to help stop you getting worse and to help you deal with the challenges you are facing.

I think I am experiencing a mental health crisis - Worcestershire

If you are already being supported by Mental Health Services you should try to speak to your usual team before calling the crisis team.

Crisis Resolution Team: 01905 681915 (24 hrs a day 365 days a year).

The Crisis Resolution Team offer advice, support and at times assessment for those people who are in experiencing mental health crisis.

People calling the number can expect to speak to Mental Health Advisors and /or trained Mental Health Clinicians who will be able to listen to your concerns and help make appropriate plans with you to support you.

If you are unsure what you should do now, staff on this number will be able to guide you to the appropriate choice.

I think I am experiencing a mental health crisis - Herefordshire

If you are in Herefordshire and need support, please call us using one of the following numbers:

  • Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm, please contact the team or service who currently provide your care.
  • Monday to Friday, 5pm – 9am and 24 hours on weekends and bank holidays, please call our Mental Health Matters Helpline on: 0800 015 7271

These contact numbers are for people already in contact with our services. If you are not currently in contact with us, please call 111 or your GP.

Our out of hours, weekend and bank holiday service is provided by Mental Health Matters.

If you need help but are not in crisis, please contact your GP if in opening hours, or 111. If you don’t have a GP use the NHS service search to locate the nearest one to you. 

COVID-19 Mental Wellbeing Resources

In these challenging and unprecedented times, its normal to experience increased levels of stress, anxiety, low mood or depression. But don’t worry it’s common and you’re not alone! 

Here you will find a selection of useful links, tips and resources to help maintain your mental wellbeing. 


Every Mind Matters


Young Minds

Coronavirus and OCD


Coronavirus and Bereavement

Coronavirus and Depression

Coronavirus and Fatigue

Coronavirus and Trauma

Coronavirus and Worry

Coronavirus Easy Read

Guide to living with worry and anxiety

Coronavirus and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) 

FACE COVID - How to respond effectively to the Corona crisis


Dr Russ Harris -  FACE COVID using ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) to help deal with these feelings. 





Mental Health Crisis additional support

The charity Mind provides information about how to plan for a crisis.

Samaritans has a free to call service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if you want to talk to someone in confidence. Call them on 116 123

Are you a young person is crisis? Click here to visit the Young Minds website for more support


Are you concerned about an adult or a child at risk? If you witness or suspect abuse you have a duty to report it

If in immediate and critical danger contact the emergency services right away on 999

Safeguarding Children Contact

Contact the Family Front Door (01905 822666) Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm

Out of Office hours (5pm to 8:30am weekdays and all day at weekends and bank holidays) please contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) (01905 768020

Safeguarding Adults Contact

Worcestershire County Council – 01905 843189 Monday -Friday

Access Centre on: 01905 768 053 Out of Hours

An adult at risk is any person aged 18 years and over and because of age, illness, disability or a mental health problem cannot protect themselves from significant harm or exploitation