About the service
Speech and language therapists work in partnership with children, their families and other professionals in a variety of friendly setting including;
- Family Hubs: Every Starting Well Partnership Family Hub has a named speech and language therapist.
- Child development centres: Speech and language therapists are part of the team
- Schools: Every mainstream school has a named speech and language therapist who visits.
How do I refer?
If you are concerned about your child's speech, language, communication or feeding/swallowing - advice and referral can be made through your GP, Health Visitor, School Nurse or other professionals who may be involved with your child. You are also welcome to ring your local Speech and Language Team.
Schools, Nurseries and other child care settings can also refer on parent's behalf by using the appropriate referral form below:
Referral form for pre school: REFERRAL SALT PreSchool, Childcare Aug 21.docx [docx] 1MB
Referral form for school aged: School Age Referral & Consent Aug 21.doc [doc] 3MB
Please note that to use these forms signed parental consent is needed. Any referrals without consent will not be accepted.
Unsure about what training is right for you or your staff?
Visit the SLCN Pathway to find out about the Workforce Development Plan in Worcestershire and where our training fits in. The Pathway also provides further information about the Speech, Language and Communication Framework.
The SLCF was developed by The Communication Trust and lists all the skills and knowledge that everyone working with children need to know to support the communication development of all children and those with SLCN.
Practitioners can use the SLCF to self evaluate their skills and knowledge in this area and it will highlight what training might be suitable for that person. In addition whole settings can access the online assessment with a designated group number and collectively assess their developmental training needs in this area. Click here to find out more.
Talking Matters workshops
Talking Matters Workshops are delivered by experienced members of the Speech and Language Therapy Team and aim to give educational staff the skills they need to deliver targeted intervention for children with communication difficulties. The workshops cover a wide range of communication difficulties and offer practical activities, strategies and resources to make staff feel confident in supporting children.
With each workshop you are provided with a ready made resource pack, which is yours to keep. The practical activities will be demonstrated to you and you will be shown how to use them effectively with either an individual child or group of children. Each workshop also includes strategies to help children generalise these skills in other situations.
To book a workshop or to be added to our mailing list please contact us on: 01527 488326 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our workshops are held at Shires Farm
(Worcestershire Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs)
Shires Farm, Hawford,Worcester, WR3 7SG.
We aim to be fantastic value for money and our half day workshops start from only £50 per person. This price includes training, a resource pack and any handouts.
If you would like a number of staff to be trained at the same time then it may be more cost-effective to run the workshop as an inset session. Prices for inset start from £150 an hour inclusive. Call the service to discuss your requirements.
Language for Learning
Developed in 2000 by Sue Hayden - Specialist Teacher and Emma Jordan - Specialist Speech & Language Therapist, 'Language for Learning' is a Worcestershire joint health and education non-profit making project. It provides courses and resources for staff from Early Years to Secondary Level and training and materials for trainers to deliver these courses within their own Authorities. For further information More information about Language for Learning
Do you need more speech and language therapy support in your school?
Would you like more SLT time for assessments and intervention?
Do you need to develop your universal and targeted offer for SLCN?
Why buy from us?
- We aim to provide one solution for schools to support their provision for SLCN at every level. We already provide a core service to all settings within Worcestershire and so commissioning additional services from us allows us to build on what is already provided and maximise the total amount of support available to you.
- We are the main NHS and Local Authority service provider in Worcestershire.
- We have a proven track record of improving outcomes for children and young people experiencing speech, language and communication needs in mainstream settings.
- We equip schools to identify SLCN early and to meet children’s needs in the classroom and can offer practical solutions to the challenges faced by class teachers and SENCOs.
- Download our One Service One Solution postcard or additional services flyer for more information