Search Services

Reset search

Services A–Z

Occupational Therapy - Housing, Adaptations and Specialist Equipment Service (HASE).

  • Occupational therapists help people of all ages to identify their daily needs and aspirations, and provide advice about preventing injuries, illness or disabilities, or advice on how to cope with them. The service is run by occupational therapists and support staff. We aim to help people of all ages in Worcestershire who are living with disabilities and those who support them, to live in their own home with improved quality of life. This means supporting people to access areas of the home required in legislation as necessary and appropriate. This includes access to a living space, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen (as the main user), garden and being able to get in and out of their property. Safety, heating, and cooling can also be considered as part of the assessment. Furthermore, we support people to be able to participate in their caring responsibility by accessing areas of the home required. Sometimes, it is not reasonable or practicable to make adaptations to the persons home. We would then provide a housing support report.

About the service

Who is in the HASE OT Team?

  • Qualified OTs – who have a diploma or degree in Occupational Therapy and are registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council
  • Healthcare assistants (therapy) and assistant practitioners

The team works closely with colleagues in health, social care and housing.

Our assessment: We will complete an assessment with the person and their carers; covering their health, abilities, occupations, and environment.

What we may recommend: 

Minor Adaptations – Such as grab handles and half steps, provided by their landlord or through our Home Improvement Agency. These are provided without charge.

Major Adaptations – These include larger permanent adaptations to the home e.g, stair lifts, level access showers. We assess and refer for people living in their own home, housing associations and private tenancies.

People on benefits or on a low income may be eligible for a Disability Facilities Grant (DFG). Approval for grant funding is made by the district councils. We can apply to the Home Improvement Agency on the persons behalf to assess their eligibility. Adaptations must not be started before a DFG is awarded. The DFG process can take several months. Repairs and maintenance after warranty become the persons or landlords’ responsibility.

Specialist Equipment – We may also loan specialist equipment via the Worcestershire Community Equipment Service (WCES) or CHC, e.g., ceiling track hoist, specialist shower chair and specialist slings to the person for as long as needed, WCES/CHC approve funding for this.

Housing Support – If our assessment indicates the persons needs cannot be met within their home, we can provide support and advice to help them find something more suitable. We can direct you for housing options advice and provide you with a supporting letter for any housing application. 

More information about the DFG can be found at:

How to refer: Any adult can refer to us by contacting the Single Point of Access on 0300 123 7593 and follow the options to select your local Neighbourhood Team.

Children are referred to us via their GP and paediatric occupational therapy services.

The referrer will be asked to provide basic information, this will be assessed by clinical staff who will triage the referral and direct it to the appropriate service.

HASE will then contact the person for further information and explain when an assessment will be completed. How quickly we visit will depend on their needs.

Already known to HASE?

If the person is already known to the HASE Occupational Therapy team and they wish to contact their Occupational Therapist, please see below for contact details.

By local authority area:

  • Redditch and Bromsgrove: 01527 488016
  • Malvern: 01684 612637
  • Wyre Forest: 01562 514620
  • Worcester and Wychavon: 01905 681655

Useful Links

Royal College of Occupational Therapists - Home ( Information about occupational therapy.

Living Made Easy - Home National charity providing independent advice on mobility aids, disability aids, daily living equipment.

Driving with medical conditions, Blue Badges and transport for disabled people - GOV.UK ( The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking and other motoring concessions for people with severe mobility problems.

Welcome to Worcestershire | Worcestershire County Council Information and advice.

The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) | ( Regulatory body for Occupational Therapy in the U.K.