Search Services

Reset search

Services A–Z

Adult Eating Disorder Out-Patient Therapy Service - Worcestershire

  • We are a County wide service for anyone experiencing eating difficulties that are impacting on their physical and mental health. We offer assessment and interventions based upon individual need. Based across 5 sites within the Worcestershire area, Malvern, Evesham, Worcester, Redditch and Kidderminster.

  • Service Delivery Office: Main Office, Adult Eating Disorders, Hillcrest, Redditch
  • Service Manager Lead: Natalie Sivell
  • Service Contact: 01527 488840
  • Address: Main Office,  Adult Eating Disorders,  Hillcrest,  Quinneys Lane, , Redditch, B98 7WG
  • Reception hours: 09:00 – 17:00 Monday - Friday
  • Reception phone number: 01527 488840
  • Service hours: 09:00 – 17:00 Monday - Friday

About the service

Eating Disorders can affect anyone of any age, gender and background and are a serious Mental health illness. Our Team understands the complex nature and difficulties of living with an Eating Disorder and we are committed to delivering individualised care to help people make sense of this whilst working towards health and wellbeing.  We appreciate that this can also be difficult for Carers and we offer Carer Screening, support and sign posting where needed.

We are an outpatient therapy service made up of a Clinical Lead, Trainee Advanced Clinical Practitioner (ACP), Nurse Therapists, Dietitian and Psychologist.  

Below are some of the more common symptoms of an Eating Disorder, but they can vary for each individual,  

Symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa

  • Restricting dietary intake well below what is needed to maintain health
  • Change of behaviour around food,
  • Losing weight,
  • Morbid fear of weight gain,
  • Distorted perception of weight and shape.

Symptoms of Bulimia Nervosa

  • Restricting dietary intake and then eating larger amounts of food (bingeing) and vomiting after eating or using laxatives,
  • Feeling out of control around food,
  • May be normal weight.

Symptoms of Binge Eating Disorder

  • Loss of control around food, eating large quantities at a time.

Symptoms of Other specified feeding and Eating Difficulties (OSFED)

If you have been diagnosed with an 'Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorder' (called 'OSFED' for short) it means you don't have all the typical symptoms of any of the main types of Eating Disorder. It could be because you have a mixture of signs or symptoms of different Eating Disorders. It does not mean your condition is less serious. NICE(2017).

Information for professionals:

Adult Eating Disorders Outpatient Therapy Service Operations Policy 

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Will everything I say be kept confidential?

Information is shared within the Team and your GP and where required, with other professionals involved in your care.

On the few occasions we need to discuss information of concern outside of the professionals above we will discuss this with you.

Can my family and friends who care for me get help?

Our Team aims to provide support for your relatives and friends where required.  

We provide a carer’s screen assessment and provide support. As a team we refer / signpost to Worcestershire Carers Association, who can complete a more formal Carers Assessment.  This helps to identify the Carer’s needs so that appropriate support can be accessed.

What if I need to be admitted to an In-Patient unit for Specialist Eating Disorder interventions? 

We currently do not have Specialist Eating Disorders In-patient beds within Herefordshire and Worcestershire. 

As a team we work closely with Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, whom form a “Collaborative Partnership“ with ourselves and other Eating Disorder Specialists within the West Midlands area.  They are able to help us identify specialist beds that can be accessed locally. We endeavour, to keep you as close to home as possible.

What do I do if I need help out of hours?

The Eating Disorders Outpatient Therapy Service is Monday to Friday 09:00 -17:00 service, if you are experiencing deterioration with your mental health or eating disorder outside of these hours, please contact:

Your GP, or Out of hours GP, 111, 01905 681915 – Crisis Mental Health Team, offering 24 hour service, 7 days a week within Worcestershire.

In an emergency please call 999.

What do I do if I need an interpreter?

The team will arrange an interpreter for consultations as required

How to refer

Referrals are accepted for individuals who are aged 17.5 years and above who have symptoms of:

Anorexia nervosa

Bulimia Nervosa

Other Specified Feeding and Eating Disorders (OSFED)

Severe and Enduring Eating Disorder (SEED)

Binge Eating Disorder (currently Community Transformation Project area only: Malvern Town, Kidderminster, The rurals)

Referrals are accepted from health and social care professionals, via Single Point of Access (SPA): Tel: 01905 681477

We do not accept self-referrals.

Please include the following details in the referral:

•            Eating disorder symptoms I.e.  Restriction, bingeing, vomiting, laxatives, and excessive levels of physical activity/exercise,

•            Physical Health checks - Weight, Height, BMI (We need this information to process the referral)

•            Results of any physical observations and blood tests

•            Rate of weight change over last 6 months (if known)

•            Medical and Psychiatric history,

•            Any known risk factors (self-harming behaviours, safeguarding risk involving themselves or others.

Urgent Referrals:

We do not accept urgent referrals, as the Team is an Outpatient Therapy Service, where there is a requirement for urgent Mental Health care a referral will need to be made either via Crisis or CARS.

As a service we work collaboratively with GP’s and other Healthcare Professionals involved in your care.

We are happy to discuss potential referrals or cases of concern with you; please contact us on: 01527 488840, where an allocated worker will assist with your enquiry.