Through the Starting Well in Worcestershire Service we will continue supporting new mums to initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies. Breastfeeding helps give babies the best start in life and we will continue to work to the UNICEF’s Baby Friendly accreditation which was granted in 2014.
- Service Manager Lead: Infant Feeding Co-ordinator, Anthea Griffiths
- Service Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reception hours: Clinics operate at different times and dates throughout the month
- Reception phone number: 01905 520032
About the service
Breastfeeding Support Workers (BFSWs), work alongside Community Midwives and Health Visitors to provide an additional tier of infant feeding support to expectant & new families.
Many new parents feel a little apprehensive and unsure about feeding in the early days & weeks, so they really appreciate the emotional support and practical guidance the support workers offer.
Breastfeeding support workers will make every effort to contact all new parents as soon as possible after their discharge from hopsital or after a homebirth. They offer information on how to get breastfeeding started, responsive feeding, expressing breast milk and ways to avoid feeding problems in the future.
The service is parent led – so you are encouraged to contact them as little or often as you wish during the first six to eight weeks following birth when breastfeeding can be most challenging.
If you miss their call or misplace the number for our Breastfeeding Support Workers, they can be contacted by emailing the team with details of your baby's name, date of birth and a contact phone number to get back in touch on.
For information relating to breast pump hire, contact your local Family Hub
Together with a range of Health Care Professionals, Peer Support Volunteers and NCT Breastfeeding Counsellors we provide Breast Feeding Support groups at sites across Worcestershire.
Breastfeeding groups provide an opportunity to meet other mothers in a relaxed and friendly setting. Pregnant women and pregnant people are also welcome to access these groups.
Breast Buddies' Support Groups
- Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 10:00am - 11:30am at Pear Trees Family Hub.
- Every Tuesday from 10:00am - 11:30am at Brookside Family Hub
- Every 1st, 3rd and 5th Wednesday from 10:00am - 11:30am at Holly Trees Family Hub
- Every Thursday (Starting 9th November) from 10:00am - 11:30am at WANDS Family Hub
- Every Friday from 11:30am - 1:00pm at The Hive in Worcester
If you would like to attend one of our Breast Buddies' support groups, please email the team with your baby's name, date of birth and postcode. We will then book you a place. Partners, grandparents, friends and older children are also welcome.
If you would like more information about a particular group please ask your Midwife, Health Visitor, Breastfeeding Support Worker or Community Nursery Nurse, alternatively contact the National Breastfeeding Helpline on 0300 100 0212 (9.30am to 9.30pm, daily) or visit the national NHS website to find a breastfeeding drop-in near you